Focus Area: Information Preservation & Dissemination
The Information Preservation & Dissemination (IP&D) program element identifies, preserves and disseminates selected technical, programmatic, and operational information for the benefit of the criticality safety community. Click on the for details.
ANSI/American Nuclear Society Standards
These copyrighted standards are available for purchase from the American Nuclear Society.
- ANSI/ANS-1 – Conduct of Critical Experiments
- ANSI/ANS-8.1 – Nuclear Criticality Safety in Operations with Fissionable Materials Outside Reactors
- ANSI/ANS-8.3 – Criticality Accident Alarm System
- ANSI/ANS-8.5 – Use of Borosilicate-Glass Raschig Rings as a Neutron Absorber in Solutions of Fissile Material
- ANSI/ANS-8.6 – Safety in Conducting Subcritical Neutron-Multiplication Measurements In Situ
- ANSI/ANS-8.7 – Nuclear Criticality Safety in the Storage of Fissile Materials
- ANSI/ANS-8.10 – Criteria for Nuclear Criticality Safety Controls in Operations with Shielding and Confinement
- ANSI/ANS-8.12 – Nuclear Criticality Control and Safety of Plutonium-Uranium Fuel Mixtures Outside Reactors
- ANSI/ANS-8.14 – Use of Soluble Neutron Absorbers in Nuclear Facilities Outside Reactors
- ANSI/ANS-8.15 – Nuclear Criticality Safety Control of Selected Actinide Nuclides
- ANSI/ANS-8.17 – Criticality Safety Criteria for the Handling, Storage, and Transportation of LWR Fuel Outside Reactors
- ANSI/ANS-8.19 – Administrative Practices for Nuclear Criticality Safety
- ANSI/ANS-8.20 – Nuclear Criticality Safety Training
- ANSI/ANS-8.21 – Use of Fixed Neutron Absorbers in Nuclear Facilities Outside Reactors
- ANSI/ANS-8.22 – Nuclear Criticality Safety Based on Limiting and Controlling Moderators
- ANSI/ANS-8.23 – Nuclear Criticality Accident Emergency Planning and Response
- ANSI/ANS-8.24 – Validation of Neutron Transport Methods for Nuclear Criticality Safety Calculations
- ANSI/ANS-8.26 – Criticality Safety Engineer Training and Qualification Program
- ANSI/ANS-8.27 – Burnup Credit for LWR Fuel
ANSI/American Health Physics Society Standards
This copyrighted standard is free to HPS members and available for purchase from the IHS Markit Standards Store.
- ANSI/HPS N13.3 – Dosimetry for Criticality Accidents
International Organization for Standardization Standards
These copyrighted standards are available for purchase from the International Organization for Standardization (ISO).
- ISO 1709:2018 – Nuclear Energy - Fissile Materials - Principles of Criticality Safety in Storing, Handling and Processing | Brochure
- ISO 7753:1987 – Nuclear Energy - Performance and Testing Requirements for Criticality Detection and Alarm Systems | Brochure
- ISO 11311:2011 – Nuclear Criticality Safety - Critical Values For Homogeneous Plutonium-Uranium Oxide Fuel Mixtures Outside Of Reactors | Brochure
- ISO 11320:2011 – Nuclear Criticality Safety - Emergency Preparedness And Response | Brochure
- ISO 14943:2004 – Nuclear Fuel Technology - Administrative Criteria Related To Nuclear Criticality Safety | Brochure
- ISO 16117:2013 – Nuclear Criticality Safety - Estimation Of The Number Of Fissions Of A Postulated Criticality Accident | Brochure
- ISO 21391:2019 – Nuclear Criticality Safety - Geometrical Dimensions For Subcriticality Control - Equipment And Layout | Brochure
- ISO 22946:2020 – Nuclear Criticality Safety - Solid Waste Excluding Irradiated And Non-Irradiated Nuclear Fuel | Brochure
- ISO 23133:2021 – Nuclear criticality safety - Nuclear Criticality Safety Training for Operations | Brochure
- ISO 27467:2009 – Nuclear Criticality Safety - Analysis Of A Postulated Criticality Accident | Brochure
- ISO 27468:2011 – Nuclear Criticality Safety - Evaluation Of Systems Containing PWR UOX Fuels - Bounding Burnup Credit Approach | Brochure
US Codes & Regulations
- 50 USC 2736 – Notification of nuclear criticality and non-nuclear incidents
- 10 CFR 830 – Nuclear Safety Management
- 10 CFR 835 – Nuclear accident dosimetry
DOE Policy & Orders
- DOE P 450.4A – Integrated Safety Management Policy
- DOE O 420.1C, Chg. 1 – Facility Safety
- DOE O 5480.30, Chg. 1 – Nuclear Reactor Safety Design Criteria
DOE Standards & Guides
- DOE-STD-1027, Chg. 1 - Hazard Categorization and Accident Analysis Techniques for Compliance with DOE Order 5480.23, Nuclear Safety Analysis Reports
- DOE-STD-1134-99 – Review Guide for Criticality Safety Evaluations
- Archived DOE-STD-1158-2010 – Self-Assessment Standard for DOE Contractor Criticality Safety Programs
- DOE-STD-1186-2016 – Specific Administrative Controls
- DOE-STD-3007-2017 – Guidelines for Preparing Criticality Safety Evaluations at Department of Energy Non-Reactor Nuclear Facilities
- DOE-STD-3009-2014 – Preparation of Nonreactor Nuclear Facility Documented Safety Analysis
- DOE-STD-3011-2016 – Preparation of Documented Safety Analysis for Interim Operations at DOE Nuclear Facilities
- DOE G 421.1-2A – Implementation Guide for Use in Developing Documented Safety Analyses to Meet Subpart B of 10 CFR 830
- DOE G 423.1-1B – Implementation Guide for Use in Developing Technical Safety Requirements
- DOE G 424.1-1B Chg. 2 – Implementation Guide for Use in Addressing Unreviewed Safety Question Requirements
- DOE G 450.4-1C – Integrated Safety Management System Guide
NRC Regulations & Guides
ANS NCSD Education Committee, Criticality Accidents - White Paper, April 2005
CSSG Best Practices Guide and Companion Slides
IAEA STI/PUB/1106, The Criticality Accident in Sarov
LA-3366, Criticality Control in Operations with Fissile Material
LA-10860-MS Reference Set, Critical Dimensions of Systems Containing U235, Pu239, and U233.
LA-11627-MS - Glossary of Nuclear Criticality Terms
LA-12808 Reference Set, Nuclear Criticality Safety Guide
LA-13265 - A Primer for Criticality Calculations with DANTSYS, by Robert Busch.
LA-13638, A Review of Criticality Accidents, 2000 Revision
LA-13638 Reference Set, A Review of Criticality Accidents: 2000 Revision
LA-13638-TR - Russian Translation of LA-13638, 'A Review of Criticality Accidents, 2000 Revision.'
LA-14098 - Modern Fission Theory for Criticality, by J Eric Lynn
LA-14244-M, Hand Calculation Methods for Criticality Safety - A Primer, by Douglas G. Bowen and Robert D. Busch.
LA-UR-04-6514 - The Heritage and Usage of the Words Fissionable and Fissile in Criticality,' by N. L. Pruvost, J Eric Lynn, and Charles D. Harmon II.
LA-UR-05-3247 - 'A Technically Useful History of the Critical Mass Laboratory at Rocky Flats.' by Robert E. Rothe.
Plutonium Array Experiments
As part of the DOE/NCSP subtask on "Information Preservation and Dissemination," the original Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory experimental logbooks for the array experiments with 3 kg and 6 kg alpha-phase plutonium metal billets have been digitally scanned and made available here. Many of these experiments have also been evaluated as part of the ongoing DOE/NCS subtask on benchmarking and published in the ICSBEP Handbook.
Array Experiments, Phase 1 (UCRL-MI-135701-PH-1)Volume 1
Array Experiments, Phase 2 (UCRL-MI-135701-PH-2)Volume 1
Volume 5 (Includes Phase 3, Volume 1)
Array Experiments, Phase 3 (UCRL-MI-135701-PH-3)Volume 2
PNNL-19176, Anomalies of Nuclear Criticality, Rev. 6, by E. D. Clayton; and, A Re-Introduction to the "Anomalies of Criticality" - B.M. Durst, E.D. Clayton, David Erickson, Raymond Puigh, and Andrew Prichard - 2009 Criticality Topical Meeting
McKamy Workshop and Lessons Learned
ORNL/TM-2020/1601, KENO-VI Primer: Performing Calculations using SCALE’s Criticality Safety Analysis Sequence (CSAS6) with Fulcrum [supporting files]
ORNL/TM-2020/1664, KENO V.a Primer: Performing Calculations using SCALE’s Criticality Safety Analysis Sequence (CSAS5) with Fulcrum [supporting files]
ORNL/TM-2013/211, Guide to Performing Computational Analysis of Criticality Accident Alarm Systems
ORNL/TM-2009/027, TSUNAMI Primer: A Primer for Sensitivity/Uncertainty Calculations with SCALE, January 2009
Radioactive Materials Packaging and Transportation Primer - by Dana M. Willaford, DOE/ORO, 2013
TID-7016-Rev.2, The Nuclear Safety Guide, June 1978.
UPF Nuclear Criticality Safety Data Book abstract, and Design Analysis and Calculation (DAC) document - by D. F. Hollenbach - November 15, 2016